IMGP6032


So last Sunday was interesting, we had our first little boat frustration and that was losing the Halyard up the mast. More on that later. Aaron and I were fortunate to get some nice sunny weather for our last day with Red Current for the season. I'm probably going to make a sailboat my next big purchase, but I've been hunting since October only to find myself in the Seinfeld dilemma over and over. What's the deal with crappy used boats. Today was a great example of teamwork and a satisfying day of catching the wind.



IMGP6015


We rigged up Red Current and took her out of dock with ease. The wind was blowing quite nicely, so we put up the sails right next to the breakwater. The problem was, the mainsail's halyard had been put away improperly. Whoever had the boat before us had somehow got the main halyard on the other side of the shroud. I unclipped the shackle and tried to see if it was just attached on the wrong side, but no, it was clearly routed wrong.



IMGP6037


That's when I had the _stupid_ idea to pull the halyard up the mast to see if I could untangle it, but suddenly it was far out of reach to bring it back down. Knowing there was very little we could do about this on the water, We turned around and headed back to dock to get the problem sorted out. Once at dock, we set to making a contraption to grab the halyard and pull it down. Using the jib halyard for a bit of friction, we were able to finally pull the halyard back down the mast and then get it on the right side of the shroud using a messenger line. What a pain in the ass. The boat I end up buying is going to have a downhaul attached to the halyards - I can't even imagine if that happened on a trip.



IMGP6017


After the halyard was fixed, we zipped right back out to the breakwater and set sail immediately. We tried to stay in what was left of the windy morning and headed down to Harling point to take advantage of an afternoon flood. However, all our monkeying with the running rigging put us about an hour behind and the flood had already arrived. We tried to get through enterprise all by sail, but the wind just wasn't in our favor, so we motored to Harling point from Mcneil Bay and found ourselves drifting backwards. If it was going to be like that, we headed back with the current through enterprise.



IMGP6011


Some fairly good sized standing waves had set up in the eastern entrance of Enterprise Channel, so we had a fun little surf to the other side. A couple of motorboats transited the channel making for even bigger waves. It was the fist time I've seen our little boat do a full on plow. We left the channel and just cruised around the south of the chain islands on a reach trying to get everything we could from the wind.



IMGP6025


I saw a couple of whales off of our bow and we got to watch orcas just off the east point of Discovery Island for a few minutes until they swam out of sight. The current was with us down plumper passage and we actually made good way through the channel. We were able to ride the wind to fiddle reef and then the current ovewhelmed the wind speed. We got the motor running and headed into oak bay using the Harris island approach we tried the last time.



IMGP6033


I took us back into dock nice and clean like and we put red current away for the last time this season. I'm looking at a few boats, but I'll have to find some way to get over my massive tire kicking schtick and just settle on one. It's been tough finding just the right boat, but soon I should be sailing my own boat around the area we've been sailing the last little while. A massive thanks to Oak Bay Sailing School for facilitating getting out on the water the last few months.


See All Photos »